Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Big Sucking Noise







At various times, almost everyone wants to Get Out There. That can mean a zillion different things, from knightly quests for the "aventure" God sends to going to New York City. (Neeeewww Yorrrrkkk Citeeeeeeee?) For me, it's knowing that I now work entirely online (except for giving some banjo lessons and stuff), knowing that I could be doing this anywhere.

And I don't fly anymore because of asthma and allergies--seems the kerosene in jet fuel and I don't get along. So here's freedom on one hand and that trapped feeling on the other. Not that it's too bad being trapped up here in Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula! Still, about a year ago, I started getting antsy. My husband isn't much into traveling and is pretty much happy being around his shop building his boat and making violins.

So it was time for me to get out on my own.

The first big hassle was how to travel and in what. Ultimately, I decided on a use an old Toyota minivan, and I have to say that this is pretty perfect for one person like me who doesn't want to burn lots of gas, drive some unwieldy beast, or camp in complicated ways. An extension cord with a little heater and an electric kettle, my laptop, my banjo and fiddle, lots of books, a cot with a good foam mattress, the other necessities, and I'm ready to go. Even easier in the summer as long as I can do without electricity, which I can mostly.

WiFi everywhere for Ms. English Prof Online. Actually, I'm only teaching myth this quarter since I missed getting a grammar section.

So, tomorrow, Jan. 11, I'm supposedly headed for some time in Portland at the Old Time Gathering. However, today, it snowed and there were two fatalities. So, uh, I'll wait! Tomorrow is supposed to be cold, but Saturday warms up. Friday is horrible for traveling, but maybe I'll try to time it and avoid rush hour. I'm gonna go at my own chicken pace.

The goal was going to be Joshua Tree and sunshine, but my allowance won't hold out and that's kind of a huge trip for my first solo outing of length. (I have camped before but just in the area. Dosewalips is my #1 favorite spot, with electricity, beauty, and hot showers.)

The van is all packed. The only thing we haven't figured out is how to keep the water out of the windows in the back I have to keep open at night to breathe. Gotta get those car eyebrow thingies.

It's weird being at home when you want to go. Scott is behaving very well, but we're both kind of nervous until I get out of Dodge!

(Obviously, I'm still trying to figure out how to place pix in text, but at least I'm starting to get them in here!)

4 comments:

Madeline said...

I am poised and waiting for your BIG ADVENTURE! When you're ready to go and then have to wait, ugh.
I still love the banjo.

Marla said...

Hey Jeanie,
It sounds like you're off to a good start on your adventure. There is nothing quite like being alone on an adventure to get the adrenaline to kick in when wierd stuff happens.
I'm intrigued with the blog idea. It might be useful for the community garden.
I gotta ask what does "Big Sucking Noise" have to do with?

Gary Kim said...

This is so important. I ran into Marla on the PT ferry this afternoon (Addie was with me) and she posed her question - what is the big sucking noise? We are concerned.

Jeanie said...

Big Sucking Noise is NOT anything gross--just the whole deal of trying to leave a place, where you can't pull outta there, zillion things to do, oops, forgot my purse, oops, need to wash the sink, oops, can't find my glasses. Sorry I didn't see these comments!!! Scottling told me about them!