Monday, January 15, 2007

Brrrrrr, It's Cold!!!






Portland is NOT supposed to be this cold. While my van is completely toasty and warm, well, almost completely, doing anything else is tough. Your hair gets dry, your skin gets tingly, you get lethargic and computer- and book-centered because you don't want to move away from your little center of heat. Eliza, Janet, and I are all huddling over computers and phones and things.

In the van, the whole scientific principle of heat rising is really apparent. When I crawl out of my cocoon and put my feet over the edge of the cot, my feet curl up and go, "Arghhhh!"

We're leaving all the faucets dripping and hunkering down.

MegaBand
Last night I tagged along at the Portland Megaband rehearsal at Sue Songer and Lanny's house, mostly because there was a potluck, but it was fun trying to play lots of notey tunes fast on my fiddle in the background of things. After dinner, though, I got tired and sat on the couch reading until Janet took pity on me and schlepped me home. Pictures are from megaband! Note brave banjoists Janet and John Adams holding forth.

Unsuspecting Myth Students
I forgot that I had this problem last year: Janet's DSL demands a different port number. Thanks to the wonderful Dorothy at Olympus Net, I was able to fix the problems with my school account and get my myth students all their stuff. They're only into their second week, so everyone is still reeling from the shock of having to actually READ THE DIRECTIONS before doing the assignments.

Now that that's settled, I'm getting some excellent discussion on Gilgamesh and Isis for this week. I finally revised the class a bit with--gasp!--some new questions! I really needed some new questions after about 500 times through the same ones.

My grammar class isn't going to fill, so I'm hustling for work--some editing or something. Let me know if you hear of anything that's online!

Tonight, I'm going to Sammy Whathisname's (of Foghorn) fiddle class. This should be a rude awakening, my usual experience on this instrument. The schedule is filling in with visits, and Phoebe promises to take me to her crafts group on Wed. night. I'll bring the socks that were supposed to be for Becky's Christmas present. Once I finish them, I'll need to get some more sock yarn and start another pair.

Looks like I may head over to the coast on Saturday and camp out at one of the parks if I don't make it to my friend Bob-o's in Port Orford. It's supposed to be getting a little warmer by then. Yeah!

2 comments:

Scott Haley said...

It's still cold in Olympia too. It snowed again this morning. I can't remember a time when the snow didn't melt for a week as it has this year. Normally, if it snows one day, it will all be gone the next.

Jeanie said...

Thanks, Dawn! I'm finally getting the hang of this groovy camera Scott gave me for my birthday back in August! (Only took 6 months.)

Lots of accidents and craziness here. We're all staying close to home.