Tuesday, January 16, 2007

SNOOOOOOOOW




I woke up a few times after a restless night, finally pulling the back insulation off the window, only to find it was covered with...SNOW! I quickly turned up the heater and snuggled back into bed to read while the van warmed up and the snow melted off the back. (This, except for the snow part, is rapidly becoming morning ritual.) Of COURSE, I wore my sandals out last night, so I had to schlep through a few inches of snow and come in and dry off. I was going to visit my friend Caroline, go to Curves like a good girl--instead, when all else fails, I ate breakfast. Just as I started, Janet and Eliza came stomping in from a grocery run. No school today! (Janet is a school librarian.) So now some chicken soup is simmering on the stove, the real thing. Mmmmm!

Fiddle Lessons
Last night, after a fun little session with Janet (me on fiddle practicing Hellbreaker band tunes, Janet on banjo, with me giving vague banjo directions), I went over to Sammy Lind's house for a fiddle lesson. Sammy is, of course, the esteemed fiddler in the Foghorn Stringband and a heckuva nice guy. He's a great teacher as well. We learned two tunes in D tuning (ADAD): "Houston" from Burl Hammons and Tommy Jarrell's "Cumberland Gap, which was great for getting that shuffle bowing. Then we swapped over to Tommy's "Breaking Up Christmas" in AEAE, also great for the shuffle.

There were about 8 people there, all ranges of ability, and Sammy handled it all eloquently with no fuss and lots of clarity. It was a great example to me. Sammy has this class on every Monday evening from 8-9:30 p.m., and if you're down in Portland, I highly recommend it.

Foghorn also has a new album out--Boombox Squaredance with a great case of cardboard in a design patented by their bass player, Brian Bagdonas. How cool is that? Anyway, you can order it, I think, at http://www.foghornmusic.com/

We heard Foghorn with Dirk Powell up in Port Townsend a few months ago, when Dirk finally brought my banjo back. (A long pointless story. ) It was a lot of fun, and of course, we'd heard them before. It's really great to watch them develop as a band and keep friendly and enthusiastic.

OK, time for me to get to work and see what the myth students are up to!

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Enjoy the snow! And, your visit in Portland sounds fabulous!

Madeline said...

Hey Jeanie, I hope the snow disappears by February - that's when I am coming from Lafayette to Seattle/Portland! I may have to look up that fiddle lesson in Portland with Foghorn. Stay safe and warm.

Jeanie said...

Mimi!!!! It's good to "see" you!!! And Mad, see my comment on YOUR blog! Let's have a little get together!

Mimi said...

Dawn linked me! I'm glad to be here!